Million Dollar Chase winner Good Odds Harada is somewhat of an unknown quantity heading into tonight’s Group 3 Shootout (515m) at Sandown Park.
Trainer Frank Hurst said that while his $6.50 outsider is good enough to win what looms as a fascinating four-dog contest, a lack of local knowledge could count against the superstar.
“He has broken the second sectional records at virtually every track he has been to, whether that be in a race or a trial, which demonstrates his ability,” Hurst said.
“However, he is at a distinct disadvantage in the Shootout because he has never been to Sandown before.”
The Londonderry trainer said that the freakishly-talented Hooked On Scotch is the greyhound to beat, however he said there was no guarantee that the short-priced favourite would get an unimpeded run despite the smaller field.
“Good Odds Harada will run straight out of the boxes from Box 5 and he’ll hold his line,” Hurst said.
“I don’t know a lot about Hooked On Scotch but I’m told he moves off the track a little bit. If that happens, there may be some chance that he and Good Odds Harada make contact, which might open up the race for Whiskey Riot.”
Hurst said his main aim with Good Odds Harada is the TAB Melbourne Cup.
“With only four dogs in the Shootout I see this race as an ideal lead into the Melbourne Cup heats,” he said.
The Melbourne Cup heats will be run next Friday.
2019 SHOOTOUT (515M)
Sandown Thursday, 8.04pm
1. WHISKEY RIOT (Anthony Azzopardi, Myrniong VIC) $5
3. HOOKED ON SCOTCH (Jason Thompson, Pearcedale VIC) $1.45
5. GOOD ODDS HARADA (Frank Hurst, Londonderry NSW) $6.50
7. MEPUNGA MAGGIE (Jeff Britton, Anakie VIC) $10
*Odds courtesy tab.com.au on 13 November
Points of interest:
- Five of the past seven Shootout winners have led to the first turn.
- The past nine Shootout winners have exited boxes 3 or 5.
- Only one female greyhound (Xylia Allen) has won the Shootout in the race’s 21-year history, which doesn’t bode well for Mepunga Maggie.
WATCH: Good Odds Harada (2) wins the TAB Million Dollar Chase.
PHOTO: Good Odds Harada is at $6.50 to win the Shootout. Photo by: Steve Christo.
The content on this page was accurate at the time of publishing. If you notice any inaccurate content on this page or anywhere on the website, please report it here