Young Victorian stayer Rippin’ Sam is the $2.10 TAB favourite in Saturday night’s $142,500 Galaxy (715m) at Cannington.
Brendan Pursell, who co-trains Rippin’ Sam along with Robert Britton, is quietly confident about Rippin’ Sam’s chances of claiming his first Group 1 after he recorded the fastest heat win last weekend in 41.70sec.
“It took him a few days to settle into the new environment when we first flew over for the heats, but he is feeling very happy within himself now,” Pursell said. “With his racing pattern he needs luck to go his way, but last week his run home time was enormous and if he can repeat that this week they will all know he’s in the race.”
This is the fourth Group 1 appearance for Rippin’ Sam after he ran 2nd in the Zoom Top, fourth in the Australian Super Stayers and 2nd in the Association Cup in Sydney.
Next in betting in the Galaxy is WA pair Quick Jagger ($4) and Moment to Jive ($4.80), who won their heats in similar times of 41.72sec and 41.78sec respectively, while a second Victorian, Myrniong Corner, is at $14.
$142,500 Group 1 Galaxy (715m)
Saturday 21 April, 10:35pm (Melbourne time)
1. Myrniong Corner (Joe Borg, VIC)
2. Zipping Katelyn (Jason Mackay, NSW)
3. Jeebus Bird (David Hobby, WA)
4. Rippin’ Sam (Robert Britton, VIC)
5. Beryllium (William Choules, WA)
6. Moment To Jive (Sarah Appleton, WA)
7. Simon Keeping (Martin Hallinan, NSW)
8. Quick Jagger (Christopher Halse, WA)
9. Kirk Bale (Enzo Crudelli, WA)
10. Winsome April (John Iwanyk, WA)
Watch: Rippin’ Sam wins his Galaxy heat in 41.70sec (Best)
The content on this page was accurate at the time of publishing. If you notice any inaccurate content on this page or anywhere on the website, please report it here