Sign up to newsletter
* = required field
Last Updated: 16 November 2021 04:06:30 PM


*Please check this page regularly for updates

What the State Government’s Mandatory Vaccinations (Workers) Directions mean for you

Anyone participating in greyhound racing in Victoria, or who undertakes greyhound racing related work away from home, from 15 October 2021 must comply with the State Government’s Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions, unless they hold a valid medical exemption.

The vaccination requirements in these Directions apply to GRV and Club employees, registered owners, breeders, catchers, attendants, owner-trainers and public trainers participating in greyhound racing in various ways. If you fall into any one of these categories and need to leave home to participate or work, the Directions will apply to you.

Examples of a work premises away from home include, but are not limited to, Club training or racing facilities, or another participant’s private trialling facilities, such as a bullring, or exercise yards.

Greyhound racing related work includes any activities related to, or which support greyhound breeding, training and/or racing that is conducted, or performed for you, or for someone else away from your home.  This work may be paid, or unpaid.

Participants seeking clarification or requiring assistance can call the Participant Support Line on 1300 144 360 or send email to [email protected].

GRV Chair Peita Duncan outlines the dates greyhound racing participants need to know regarding the State Government’s Mandatory Vaccinations (Workers) Directions.

Attending Clubs

In line with recent announcements by the State Government, updated entry requirements will be in place from 15 October 2021 for participants entering Club racing and training facilities for the purposes of greyhound racing.  To enter, all participants must check-in, and present proof of compliance with the Victorian Government Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions.

The Services Victoria App can be used to simplify the mandatory check-in required to enter premises throughout the State, including Clubs, and can also be linked to your vaccination status.

The App allows you to:

  • save required personal check in information for “next time”,
  • save clubs and other potential work premises as a favourite check-in location, and
  • show your Covid-19 digital certificate from within the app, (needs to be separately added from your Medicare Online or myGov account – click here for a step-by-step guide).

With these new requirements, it is important to remain respectful during these difficult times for all involved.

To view GRV’s Victorian Greyhound Racing COVID-19 Protocols information page, click here.

Updated FAQs for GRV Participants

15 November 2021

  1. Do the vaccination requirements apply if I live and race in regional Victoria?
    Yes. All of Victoria is included in the Directions, so for racing and the activities that you can’t perform, or conduct from home, you must comply.
  2. What do I need to do to comply with the Directions?
    From 23 October 2021, to participate in greyhound racing activities away from your home (i.e. at a work premises such as a Club track), you must be able to show proof to your employer (which is you, if you are self-employed) that you have:

    • received both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, or
    • received at least your first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, or
    • a valid medical exemption.

From 26 November 2021, you must have received your second dose (unless you have a medical exemption) to be able to continue working or participating in greyhound racing.

There are limited grounds for receiving a valid medical exemption.

After 6pm on Friday 12 November 2021, only an official Australian Immunisation Register immunisation exemption form, completed and signed by an approved medical practitioner, is valid proof of a medical exemption from the vaccination requirements, for workers who are working outside of their home.

For further information, including what is acceptable proof, go to the State Government’s FAQs for workers by clicking here.

  1. What proof of Directions compliance do I need to show to be able to enter a track to race, or trial from 15 October 2021?Evidence can include:
    • Immunisation history statement available from Medicare (digital or hard copy)
    • MyGov COVID-19 digital certificate (digital only)
    • My Health Record and your Medicare online account (digital only)
    • Proof of relevant medical exemption (photo or hard copy)

In the period before your immunisation history is updated, evidence of vaccination can include the card received at the time of vaccination.

  1. I have a medical exemption letter from my doctor. Can I still use this as my proof when attending a track?
    No. After 6pm Friday 12 November 2021, only the official immunisation exemption form is valid proof of a medical exemption.
  1. Can GRV keep a copy of my vaccination certificate in FastTrack rather than me having to show it at each track every time I race?
    No. You will need to carry proof of your compliance with the Directions and present it as required.
  1. Do I still need a worker permit?
  1. Do I have to disclose my vaccination status when I enter a Club to trial or race?
    You are free to decline to disclose your vaccination status. However, in line with the prescribed Directions, you would not comply with the Directions and would not be permitted to enter a Club facility for the purpose of trialling, or racing.
  1. My faith precludes me from being vaccinated. Can I get an exemption based on my religion?
    No. This is not an authorised exemption under the Directions.
  1. Greyhound racing is my hobby, not my work. Do I need to comply?
    Yes, even if it is a hobby or pastime. Anyone participating in greyhound racing, including physically engaged in keeping, racing, training, or trialling activities, is included in the Directions.
  1. I am a fulltime trainer and rearer, but I work for myself. Am I a worker, or an employer?
    You are both (ie, self-employed). You will need to be aware of, and comply with, the Directions as both an employer and worker.
  1. What happens if I don’t comply with the Directions and go to the track to race, or trial?
    If you are unable to show proof of compliance, you will be unable to enter any Victorian Club premises to trial or race.
  1. I’m a trainer. Will I still be able to nominate for a meeting held after 29 October 2021 if I am not fully vaccinated and don’t hold a medical exemption?
    Yes. However, if you do not comply with the Directions, and your dog is engaged to race, you will not be permitted to enter Club premises to kennel or handle your dog.
  1. Can I ask a GRV authorised officer who attends my property to show me their proof of vaccination before they come on to my property? Can I refuse them if they don’t?
    No. GRV, as employer of GRV authorised officers, will ensure that only individuals compliant with the Directions are permitted to attend participant properties. GRV authorised officers will not be required to show proof of vaccination, nor will a participant be entitled to refuse them entry.
  1. Do the Directions apply to me if I am a family member, or friend of a trainer and I help with the dogs at their home? I don’t live with them.
    Yes. The Directions will apply to you if you are doing any greyhound racing related work away from your home, whether you are paid (employee) or unpaid (volunteer).
  1. I am a trainer and get help with my greyhounds from friends and family. Am I supposed to check their vaccination information?
    Yes. Anyone who helps you is considered your worker, paid or unpaid, and if they don’t live with you, they are working for you, away from their home.The Directions require that, as their employer, you

    • must collect, record and hold vaccination information for any worker coming on-site for work or working at another work premises, and
    • must not permit a worker who doesn’t meet the Direction requirements to work outside their home.

    Failure to comply with the Directions will put you at risk of court imposed penalties of up to $21,808 for individuals and $109,044 for businesses.

  1. I’m not fully vaccinated and don’t have a medical exemption. Can I still trial at a Club track?
    You are not able to trial at a Club track after 22 October 2021 if you have not had at least one vaccine dose, or after 25 November 2021 if you have not had both vaccine doses.
  1. I’m not fully vaccinated or eligible for a medical exemption, but I want to use the Club’s exercise yards. Will I need to be vaccinated?
    You are not able to trial at a Club track after 22 October 2021 if you have not had at least one vaccine dose, or after 25 November 2021 if you have not had both vaccine doses.
  1. 18. I’m a breeder and I am picking up a couple of pups from the rearer in late October. Do I need to be vaccinated to be able to pick them up and take them to the educator?
    Yes. Both are considered work sites for you, away from your home, in your participation in greyhound racing. Therefore, you will be required to comply with the Directions.
  1. 19. I am fully vaccinated, but my wife/husband/partner/friend is not. Can they still travel with me to the track when I am taking my greyhounds to trial or race?
    No. If you are both travelling to the track for the purpose of trialling or racing greyhounds, you will both be participating in greyhound racing and be required to comply with the Directions.

Important or useful Government Links

  • To view or download the State Government’s Covid-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions, visit here – greyhound racing participants are covered under “professional sports, high-performance sports, or racing person” (see Section 22 of the Directions).
  • To view the State Government’s Information for workers who are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 page, click here.
  • To view the State Government’s FAQs for workers, click here.
  • To view the State Government’s FAQs for business and industry (employers), click here.
  • If you already use the Service Victoria app  to check in, and need help adding your Covid-19 digital certificate to the app, click here.
  • If you are 14 years of age or older, and need help on how to get proof of your COVID-19 vaccinations, click here.
  • If you can’t get proof of vaccination online, you can call the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809 and request your Immunisation history statement to be sent to you. It can take up to 14 days for your statement to arrive in the post.
  • If you don’t have a myGov account, or have not linked Medicare or Centrelink to your myGov account, click here to access Services Australia’s online help guides. You will need a mobile phone number and an email address to create a myGov account.

Looking for more information about the vaccination program, or the different COVID-19 vaccines?  Click here to visit the Australian Government’s Department of Health COVID-19 Facts page.

The content on this page was accurate at the time of publishing. If you notice any inaccurate content on this page or anywhere on the website, please report it here

Best CBD for Dogs with Arthritis