Andrea Dailly has dominated the Group 1 TAB Australian Cup in recent years and will have numbers on her side as she chases a remarkable sixth victory since 2010 in next weekend’s $300,000 to-the-winner Cup final at The Meadows.
Eight ‘sudden death’ heats were conducted on Saturday night and Team Dailly will supply half the field for the final after incredibly training four winners; homebred quartet Lala Kiwi (29.61sec), Zippy Tesla (29.75sec), Daph’s Ascend (29.80sec) and Gypsy Bun (29.83sec).
Lala Kiwi, runner-up in the G1 Melbourne Cup in November, produced the fastest qualifying performance in heat three when upstaging series favourite Aston Rupee.
Dailly’s previous Australian Cup winners are Dyna Lachlan (2010), Spud Regis (2013), Dyna Double One (2015), Hecton Bale (2018) and Dyna Patty (2019).
Other highlights from Saturday night’s heats included:
- Champion trainer Jason Thompson will attempt to break his Australian Cup hoodoo with Immunity, a half-sister to Thompson’s 2019 Australian Cup runner-up Black Opium.
- Kelly Bravo is hoping Paddy Wants Pat can emulate the G1-winning exploits of his mother, former superstar sprinter Striker Light, whose three G1 victories included the Temlee during the 2018 Australian Cup Carnival.
- Twelve months after starting favourite in the G3 Vic Bred Maiden final on Australian Cup night, Orlando, trained by Lee Moore, produced the biggest heat upset, starting at $28 when taking out the penultimate heat.
- Young trainer and former pro-wrestler Daniel Gibbons, 33, will take aim at his first G1 success with Titan Blazer, which ran third in the G1 Silver Chief at The Meadows in January.
(Fastest to slowest)
- 29.61sec Lala Kiwi
- 29.74sec Immunity
- 29.75sec Zippy Tesla
- 29.80sec Daph’s Ascend
- 29.83sec Gypsy Bun
- 29.86sec Orlando
- 29.87sec Paddy Wants Pats
- 29.92sec Titan Blazer
Despite being first reserve, Aston Rupee is TAB’s ‘Pre Box Draw’ favourite at $2.30, ahead of Lala Kiwi ($3.20) and Immunity ($3.50). Riccarton Rick qualified as the second reserve.
RELATED: FANTA BALE SUPER STAYERS HEATS WRAP
The content on this page was accurate at the time of publishing. If you notice any inaccurate content on this page or anywhere on the website, please report it here