He may be the quickest greyhound in Australia but Hooked On Scotch recorded the slowest time out of Friday night’s heats of the Group 2 Geelong Gold Cup (460m).
That’s not to take anything away from the young superstar, who for the second week running came from the clouds to win at the death-knock, as he did in his incredible Adelaide Cup victory a week earlier.
22-month-old Hooked On Scotch has now won five on end, however time honours went the way of the underrated Runnin’ Royalty, who notched the 25th win of his 39-start career when clocking 25.48sec on a wet Corio night.
The $67,000 Geelong Gold Cup final will be run next Friday.
Geelong Gold Cup heat winners (fastest to slowest):
Runnin’ Royalty 25.48sec
Slingshot Hammer 25.64sec
Last Hurrah 25.85sec
Peter Galo 25.87sec
Hooked On Scotch 25.94sec
2019 GEELONG GOLD CUP FINAL
Friday 25 October, 460m
1. VIVATAR (Angela Langton, Anakie VIC)
2. SNAGS McKENZIE (David Burnett, Little River VIC)
3. HOOKED ON SCOTCH (Jason Thompson, Pearcedale VIC)
4. SLINGSHOT HAMMER (Robert Camilleri, Lara VIC)
5. PETER GALO (Garry Selkrig, Devon Meadows VIC)
6. LAST HURRAH (Matthew Nash, Little River VIC)
7. RILEY’S PAIGE (Clint Capuano, Lara VIC)
8. RUNNIN’ ROYALTY (John Barbara, Exford VIC)
9. BLUE STRIKER (Peter Akathiotis, Reservoir VIC)
10. WILBUR DEEDS (Gary Anders, Koroit VIC)
WATCH: HOOKED ON SCOTCH (2) comes from last to win his heat.
WATCH: Runnin’ Royalty (2) digs deep to defeat Snags McKenzie (2) and Weblec Ace (7)./em>