It was an action-packed night at The Meadows on Saturday night with the running of four semi-finals of the Group 1 Hudson Pacific Maturity Classic and three heats of the Group 2 AWM Distance Championship.
See the below summaries from The Meadows about the big night of racing.
GROUP 1 HUDSON PACIFIC MATURITY CLASSIC SEMI-FINALS WRAP
The final – worth $100,000 to the winner – will give one greyhound the chance to join one of the most illustrious honour rolls in greyhound racing, which includes legends such as Temlee and Brett Lee.
Boom sprinter Hooksy has drawn awkwardly in box seven, with noted speedsters Grand Legacy (box six) and Mepunga Hayley (box eight) surrounding the Jim Auld-trained sprinter.
NSW chaser Shoulders looks well drawn in box two with a noted slow beginner off box one, qualifying after a narrow defeat behind Humphrey Bale (30.18) in semi final two.
Fastest semi winner Lamia Bale – who scored at the juicy odds of $22.90 – will begin from box four for trainer Steve Collins after a 29.99 gallop on Saturday night.
The July 26 meeting at The Meadows will also see Xylia Allen attempt to become Australia’s highest
Box draw for the Group 1 Hudson Pacific Maturity Classic:
1. Sisco Rage (Darren McDonald)
2. Shoulders (Anthony Azzopardi)
3. Take Charge (Stephen McKenna)
4. Lamia Bale (Steven Collins)
5. Humphrey Bale (Andrea Dailly)
6. Grand Legacy (Peter Dapiran)
7. Hooksy (Tanya Auld)
8. Mepunga Hayley (Jeff Britton)
9. Trail Blazing (Tina Womann)
10. Wind Whistler (Angela Langton)
GROUP 2 AWM DISTANCE CHAMPIONSHIP HEATS WRAP
Her chances received a further boost after drawing box one in the final, a draw she used to win the Group 1 National Sprint Championship at The Meadows last year.The daughter of Turanza Bale and Tayah Bale has won her last eight starts and will start a short-priced favourite next week.
Other heat winners included Mepunga Tiara, who strode to a 42.72 victory, and the Darren McDonald-trained Zipping Joe, who also broke 43 seconds to score in heat two.
Trainer Peter Dapiran has two chasers in the final with Zipping Maggie (box two) and Zipping Rory (box eight) engaged in next week’s $40,000-to-the-winner final. The July 26 meeting at The Meadows will also see the running of the Group 1 $145,000 Maturity Classic.
Box Draw for the Group 2 AWM Distance Championship:
1. Xylia Allen (Jenny Hunt)
2. Zipping Maggie (Peter Dapiran)
3. Lethal Three (Kelly Bravo)
4. Dyna Willow (Steven Collins)
5. Zipping Joe (Darren McDonald)
6. Mepunga Tiara (Jeff Britton)
7. Arejay Smokey (Bob Iredale)
8. Zipping Rory (Bethany Dapiran)
9. Galloping Rocky (Robert Conway)
10. Liara Allen (Steven Collins)
Hooksy (pictured) will be one of the favourites for the Group 1 Hudson Pacific Maturity Classic next week at The Meadows