Considering the current situation surrounding ongoing canine gastroenteritis, and COVID-19, the decision has been made to cease any further Greyhound Adoption Program Pre-entry Assessments until further notice. Adoptions are continuing, and in fact demand for pet greyhounds is very high at the moment.
Importantly, we are still bringing new dogs into the program. However, we are using a modified entry process enabling us to comply with Government requirements. These dogs will not undertake a pre-entry assessment but will instead be accepted into GAP and then assessed after the dog has been retired to GAP.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience but for the safety of our industry we feel this is the best possible course of action.
Given these changes, the process will be as follows:
- Every greyhound that was booked in for a Pre-entry Assessment has been moved onto the GAP waiting list.
- The waiting list is in the order of the date of the original booking (not the actual assessment date) so no one will lose their place in line.
- Once an entry place becomes available, those next on the waiting list will be contacted by Racing Services who will then offer the participant that place for GAP.
- Participants will continue to have the ability to book additional greyhounds for Pre-entry Assessments but again these bookings will be added to the list in booking date order.
- GAP will monitor the current situation weekly and as soon as possible and when it is safe to do so, we will re-introduce Pre-entry Assessment sessions around the state.
- As soon as these sessions are reintroduced, greyhounds on the waiting list will be allocated a spot at one of these sessions.
Please be assured we are continuing to look at ways to increase re-homing opportunities for all retired greyhounds. We ask for your patience during what is a very challenging time for our community and urge everyone to take all appropriate precautions and keep yourself and your families and greyhounds safe and well.
The content on this page was accurate at the time of publishing. If you notice any inaccurate content on this page or anywhere on the website, please report it here