Greyhound Racing Victoria has received substantial feedback on the proposed $3.1M prize money
and breeding incentives package, submissions for which closed on 31 August, 2017.
All sectors of the industry have been invited to provide formal feedback via email through an article placed on GRV’s website, FastTrack and in the Greyhound Monthly.
Direct consultation has also taken place with the Greyhound Owners, Trainers & Breeders Association (GOTBA) the Industry Consultative Group (ICG), Clubs and a number of individual trainers, owners and breeders.
While feedback has been supportive of the additional money being proposed, opinions on how the money would best be distributed has been mixed. Among the more common threads of feedback were:
• There is not enough in the package for owners and breeders
• The Starters’ Fees proposal provides all the benefits to the trainers and nothing for owners
• There is no need to differentiate Starters’ Fees between metro ($120) and country ($80)
• The Starters Fees’ will only benefit trainers with larger kennels and multiple dogs
• The breeders’ incentives are welcomed, but are insufficient to incentivise and revitalise the sector
• Paying breeders bonuses from first to last place is not supported – a preference of first to third would encourage quality breeding GRV is now considering all feedback received, and is currently developing a revised set of options for utilising the approved $3.1M budgeted increase for further consideration and consultation.
GRV plans to finalise and implement the increase before the end of 2017.
Proposed $3.1M prize money and breeding incentives package, submissions for which closed on 31 August, 2017: