*Please check this page regularly for updates
The protocols outlined below have been put in place by GRV and Greyhound Clubs Victoria to help protect the health of participants, GRV and club staff, followers of the code and the general community. They are based on advice from Victoria’s Chief Health Officer and regulations issued by the Victorian and Federal Governments.
All these protocols are currently in force and will remain so indefinitely. It is vital that we all follow them to protect both ourselves and the immediate future of our sport.
Access to race meetings and club venues
- Restricted to essential people.
- Licensed trainers (or trainers’ representatives) with runners at the meeting.
- Essential staff such as stewards, vets, club employees with race day duties.
- Media approved by GRV.
- Closed to public, owners, non-essential people, all children and wagering operators.
- Maintain a minimum distance of 1.5 metres.
- If you feel unwell or have a temperature do not come to the track and contact your doctor.
- Temperatures checked for all persons entering track between start of kennelling and Race 6.
Conduct of races
- All participants allowed on course must be dressed in accordance with the dress code as set out in the rules (ie; black and whites) at all times – including during kenneling.
- Use of bibs ceased.
- Vetting greyhounds conducted in outdoor areas (where possible).
- Removal of parading in front of the pavilion prior to each race.
- Maintain a minimum distance of 3 metres when walking greyhounds to the starting boxes.
- Greyhounds are boxed two at a time using a four-wave model which ensures social distancing protocols are met.
- Handlers to leave the starting area as soon as they have loaded their greyhound.
- Starters’ fees are paid electronically.
- Non-race trials only by prior appointment.
- Race day trials will be limited to two dogs maximum per trial (ie. no half field trials).
- No trials held after the last race at Sale until further notice.
- No cash transactions on course – all payments for trials to be either online or by card.
- Trainers must wear hi-vis clothing when trialling under OHS regulations and are now required to provide their own hi-vis clothing to trial.
Use of club facilities
- All non-racing related activities at clubs are cancelled.
- Kennels and patron areas, function rooms and covered areas will remain open for use by those allowed to attend race meetings – however restrictions are placed on number of people in each room and area in operation on race day as per the room measurements– room capacity numbers will be displayed and managed accordingly.
- Bars and kitchen/bistro facilities are closed. People permitted access can bring their own food and beverages, However, alcohol is strictly prohibited as it is a breach of club liquor licences.
Important advice for participants attending race meetings
30 JUNE 2020
GRV and Greyhound Clubs Victoria (GCV) encourage all participants to remain vigilant during the COVID pandemic and in particular at the tracks in the Municipalities of Hume and Casey.
If you are attending a race meeting, we recommend that you travel to the track and then return home, avoiding visiting shops and services in these areas. We recommend participants bring their own food, or dine in at the racing track venue on site, to avoid the need to leave the track during the meeting.
This advice is based on latest advice from the Government regarding the spread of COVID-19.
To limit the spread of the virus, participants are advised to refrain from dining at restaurants and fast food outlets surrounding the tracks on the way to, from and during their time on course.
For the latest information on COVID-19 please refer to the Department of Health and Human Services website – https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-update
Interstate nominations to be accepted for all Victorian race meetings
18 JUNE 2020
Commencing June 23, nominations will be accepted from interstate trainers for all Victorian greyhound race meetings.
Trainers to provide own hi-vis clothing for arm trials
22 APRIL 2020
Greyhound trainers are advised that as per the removal of shared handlers bibs and rain jackets on race day under COVID-19 protocols, clubs will no longer supply hi-vis vests for trialling purposes.
Health screening for on-track greyhound racing participants and staff
3 APRIL 2020
GRV and Greyhound Clubs Victoria have introduced new on-track health checks for all participants, GRV personnel and club staff attending race meetings.
COVID-19: Boxing Process To Revert Back to Four-Wave Model
2 APRIL 2020
Greyhound tracks throughout Victoria have reverted back to the four-wave model for boxing greyhounds rather than the eight-wave model.
COVID-19: Advice for older Victorian greyhound trainers
The contribution senior citizens make to the sport of greyhound racing is nothing short of extraordinary, and the care and wellbeing of older Australians is a major priority in this uncertain time.
COVID-19: Changes to operational procedures around greyhound racing integrity
30 MARCH 2020
The general public are not allowed to attend race meetings and a number of race day protocols have been introduced to protect the health of participants and staff.
- The Head Office in West Melbourne is closed to visitors with staff working remotely, including Racing Services
- Participants can still call GRV on 8329 1100, however, calls cannot currently be transferred between staff, which may affect response times
- Participants are encouraged to contact GRV on the Participant Support Line for any COVID-19 related enquiries or requests for assistance. Contact the Participant Support Line by phone on 1300 144 360 or send email to email@example.com.
- In need of mental health or debt management help? Participants and their immediate family members can call Greyhound Participant Support (GPS) by Assure Programs on 1300 739 550, a free professional and confidential psychological counselling and financial coaching service, with emergency support available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For more information, click here.