The Board of Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV) has approved a change in policy for the confirmation of swab irregularities in reserve (B samples) and control samples.
The new GRV Policy for Confirmation of Reserve and Control Samples is an amendment to the GRV Swab Sampling Policy & Procedures, effective from October 1, 2015.
The changes bring GRV’s testing procedures into line with other Australian states and racing codes, while also improving the independence and transparency of Victoria’s testing procedures for reserve and control samples.
Under the current procedures, Racing Analytical Services Limited (RASL) tests both the A and B samples. If the A sample returned a positive result, RASL would perform a confirmation test on the B sample. A Trainer was also allowed to appoint an independent and accredited analyst to observe the confirmation test of the B sample at the RASL facility in Melbourne.
Under the new policy, whenever a swab irregularity is detected by RASL, the B sample and control sample will be automatically referred to another Accredited Laboratory, other than RASL in Melbourne.
If the A sample returns a positive result for a prohibited substance, GRV’s Chief Steward will advise the Trainer in writing about the name and location of the Accredited Laboratory, where the confirmation test of the B sample and the control sample will be undertaken.
As a result of the Board’s decision, Trainers can now have even more confidence about GRV’s rigorous drug testing program. In addition, GRV will absorb all diagnostic costs associated with the confirmation of swab irregularities, removing the need for Trainers to pay for an independent analyst to be present.
In addition, the new policy will provide GRV with more diagnostic laboratories to choose from in the future, if new performance enhancing substances emerge, or when new and improved testing procedures become available.
Greyhound Racing Victoria has approved each of the following laboratories as an Accredited Laboratory, as per Greyhounds Australasia Rule 1:
- Australian Racing Forensic Laboratory, Sydney
- Queensland Government Racing Science Centre, Brisbane
- Racing Analytical Services Limited, Melbourne
- Racing Chemistry Laboratory, Chemistry Centre (W.A.), Perth
- The Hong Kong Jockey Club Racing Laboratory, Sha Tin, Hong Kong
- New Zealand Racing Laboratory Services Limited, Avondale, Auckland, New Zealand
- Horseracing Forensic Laboratory, Fordham, Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
- Australian Sports Drug Testing Laboratory, Sydney
- ChemCentre, Western Australia
- National Measurement Institute (NMI), Sydney (trace element analysis)
- Institute of Biochemistry, German Sports University, Cologne, Germany (Xenon & Argon)
For enquiries relating to the new GRV Policy for Confirmation of Reserve and Control Samples, call the GRV Stewards’ department on (03) 8329 1100.
Click here to read the GRV Policy for Confirmation of Reserve and Control Samples, which is located on page 29 of the Swab Sampling Policy & Procedures, effective from October 1, 2015.